The Coat Program began in 1984 when approximately 30 children were provided with winter coats. We now provide over 500 winter coats each season and the program has since grown into a program serving entire families in Ingham, Eaton and Clinton counties. Each October, we hold a clothing drive and provide gently used coats and other winter accessories, and warm clothing for adults and children.
How to Receive Help
2023 Coat Distribution
Saturday, October 21st from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Holt United Methodist Church
(Corner of Cedar St. and Aurelius Road in Holt)
What you will need to bring (required):
- Picture I.D. (Valid Driver’s License or State Identification Card
You will also be able to sign up for our Give-A-Kid-A-Christmas program when you pick up your coat(s)! Please have the following verifications available if you would like to sign up for the Christmas program while you pick up your winter coat(s):
- Picture I.D. (Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card)
- Proof of current address (property tax receipt, lease agreement, utility bill, etc)
- Paperwork to verify income for ALL adults 18 & older in the home
- DHS paperwork listing household members receiving benefits OR proof that the children receive free/reduced-price school lunches OR proof that the children qualify for Medicaid
- Medicaid/insurance card OR birth certificate OR Social Security card to verify children 17 & under in the home
- If you do not live in the Holt School District, then you must bring proof that your child attends a Holt/Dimondale school or that at least one child within your home attends a Holt/Dimondale school (current report card, current school ID, signed statement from the school, etc.)
How to Provide Help
Cash donations for the Coat Program are always appreciated!
If you prefer to mail a check, please make it payable to Give-a-Kid Projects and mail it to:
P.O. Box 576
Holt, MI 48842
Do you have any new or gently used coats or cold-weather clothing that you’re able to donate? We’re looking for both children’s and adult sizes with working zippers to be donated in support of our annual coat distribution event that serves those in need across Ingham, Eaton, and Clinton counties.
If you have any cold weather gear you’re able to donate, please plan to bring it to the Give-A-Kid Projects headquarters (4064 Holt Road, Holt, MI 48842) on one of our following collection days:
Tuesday, Sept. 26th 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Thursday, Sept. 28th 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Tuesday, Oct. 3rd 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Thursday, Oct. 5th 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Tuesday, Oct. 10th 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Thursday, Oct. 12th 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
If you have gently used warm weather clothing you’d like to donate before Saturday the 21st of October, but can’t make one of the above days work with your schedule, please call us at (517) 694-1230 and a volunteer will arrange a time to receive your donations. Thank you!
Volunteers are always needed to help sort and inventory incoming donations, and to help at various events. For more information, please call us at (517) 694-1230, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .