In August of 2003 the Backpack program began. That year 50 backpacks were distributed to children in need. In 2019, we distributed more than 150 backpacks, and have provided more than 2200 backpacks to date.
Not only do we provide backpacks and grade-appropriate school supplies for students in the Holt School District who are entering Pre-K through 12th grade, but each student also receives a new outfit and a pair of new shoes to start school. Having these items gives students increased self-worth as they start the school year with the same advantages as their peers.
Thank you to our 2019 Sponsors
- Holt United Methodist Church
- Mayflower Congregational Church
- Orion Family Dentistry
- The Mason – Holt #3734 SkyHawks Youth Group
- And the many generous individuals in our community who also donated time and supplies!
How to Receive Help
Sign-up for the 2019-2020 school year ended on July 11, 2019 and backpacks were distributed to more than 150 students on July 25, 2019. Please call our office if you missed the distribution and are in need of help. We have limited resources still available.
What you will need to bring (ALL applications REQUIRE the following proofs):
- Picture I.D. (Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card)
- Proof of current address (property tax receipt, lease agreement, utility bill)
- Social Security card for person making the application
- Social Security numbers for ALL adults 18 & older in the home
- Paperwork to verify income for ALL adults 18 & older in the home
- DHS case number, DHS Caseworker name and direct phone number
- Medicaid/insurance card OR birth certificate OR Social Security card to verify children 17 & under in the home
- If you do not live in the Holt School District, then you must bring proof that your child attends a Holt school (most recent report card from Holt Schools)
- Clothing and shoe sizes for each child
How to Provide Help
Cash donations for the Backpack Program are always appreciated!
If you prefer to mail a check, please make it payable to Give-a-Kid Projects and mail it to:
P.O. Box 576
Holt, MI 48842
We are still collecting supplies! We are currently in need of donations of the following NEW items:
- Jeans (boys and girls, sizes 5-16)
- Tennis shoes (boys and girls, child sizes 7+, all adult sizes)
- 1″ 3-ring binders (any color)
- Loose leaf, college ruled, lined paper
- Flash drives
- Lined index cards
We are also accepting donations of the following NEW items:
- New backpacks for all grades (Pre-K through 12th)
- Two-pocket folders
- Mechanical pencils
- Pens (red and blue)
- Pencil sharpeners
- 24-count crayons
- Colored pencils
- Markers (thin and broad tip)
Donations are accepted at 4064 Holt Road. Please call (517) 694-1230 to arrange a time to drop off donations.
Volunteers are always needed to help sort and inventory incoming donations. For more information, please call us at (517) 694-1230, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .