In August of 2003, the Backpack program began. That year 50 backpacks were distributed to children in need. In 2020, even during the uncertainty caused by Covid-19, we distributed 214 backpacks, and in 2021 we surpassed that number with 260 backpacks distributed. Overall we’ve provided more than 2,600 backpacks to those in need locally to date.
Not only do we provide backpacks and grade-appropriate school supplies for students in the Holt School District who are entering Pre-K through 12th grade, but each student also receives a new outfit and a pair of new shoes to start school. Having these items gives students increased self-worth as they start the school year with the same advantages as their peers.
How to Receive Help
Sign-up for the 2022-2023 school year is underway!
To apply, you must fill out this Google Form.
The deadline to sign-up is Sunday, July 10th.
Note, the person signing up the child(ren) must be either the primary custodial parent or the legal guardian. To qualify you must either live at an address inside the Holt/Dimondale School District OR have at least one child that attends a Holt/Dimondale school. You must also be able to show proof that you meet the income guidelines.
ALL applications REQUIRE the following proofs. You will need to have these with you on distribution day in order to pick up your student’s backpack and clothing.
- Picture I.D. (Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card)
- Proof of current address (property tax receipt, lease agreement, utility bill)
- Paperwork to verify income for ALL adults 18 & older in the home
- DHS case number, DHS Caseworker name, and direct phone number OR proof that the children receive free/reduced-price school lunches OR proof that the children qualify for Medicaid
- Medicaid/insurance card OR birth certificate OR Social Security card to verify children 17 & under in the home
- If you do not live in the Holt School District, then you must bring proof that your child attends a Holt/Dimondale school or that at least one child within your home attends a Holt/Dimondale school (current report card, current school ID, signed statement from the school, etc.)
The distribution of your items will be on Thursday, July 21st between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. at Holt United Methodist Church on the Corner of Cedar & Aurelius in Holt, MI.
** Be sure to mark July 21st on your calendar! **
How to Provide Help
Cash donations for the Backpack Program are always appreciated!
If you prefer to mail a check, please make it payable to Give-a-Kid Projects and mail it to:
P.O. Box 576
Holt, MI 48842
You can purchase items for a direct donation to Give-A-Kid-A-Backpack’s 2022/23 school year from our Amazon.com Wishlist. Shop from a variety of price ranges and items will be sent directly to Give-A-Kid-Projects’ headquarters for sorting and distribution. Be sure to choose Give-A-Kid-Projects Headquarters as your shipping destination at checkout!
Volunteers are always needed to help sort and inventory incoming donations. For more information, please call us at (517) 694-1230, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .